Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Step 7

Here we go


Step 7- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

I personally like the word shortcomings rather than defects!! Shortcomings say that there are things that we could do better but defects is just a reminder that there is something wrong with us.

Humble means- not proud or arrogant; courteously respectful (according to dictionary.com). My pride is a personal weakness for me (man I am learning that I have way to many of those things!!). Some pride is okay- like the pride I have in my abilities at work, so I do my best to make sure that all of my clients get the best care possible, or my pride in being a good mom- making sure that every decision that I make is in Gunner's best interest. The other pride, is not okay- like my insistence that my opinion is necessary in all situations (I know, this is a HUGE shocker to me to guys!), like my pride in that I feel that I am always right (again, big shocker that I am not), or like my pride that I didn't need to take care of my body or health for certainly I will live forever.

I also personally believe that low self esteem can be a form of pride to. The poor me syndrome, "Oh I am not good enough" (when deep down I know that I am), "I don't know what to say" (which if I took half a second to think about what I was saying rather than just blurt out whatever comes to mind, I would), or "My ideas aren't important" (so let the whole idea suffer without offering something that could possibly make it better).

The longer that I am a martyr in all situations the longer that people fear sorry for me the better I feel about myself because I am the center of attention and they are focusing on me and how to make me feel better. ( Man self reflection is painful!).

To learn humility is to learn gratitude. Until I am humble I will never be grateful for what I have nor will I truly take care of what I have. God help me to be humble.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I cant and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment